Tournament organiser, and former Wohaib FC star, Faisal Amir Khan stated that the tournament was re-named from Lahore Free Kick Competition to Qayyum Ali Changezi Free-Kick Competition in honour of the great Quetta-born legend of South Asian football from the 1950s and 1960s because Qayyum ‘Papa’ was known to be perhaps the first deadly expert in scoring spectacular goals from free-kicks to ever come from Pakistan.
The former Pakistan international captain who played for various teams from Quetta, Balochistan, Karachi, and WAPDA in his life impressed many foreign sides, notably Fortuna Düsseldorf who faced Qayyum Papa’s deadly free-kick skills in a friendly game during the German Bundesliga side’s 1963 world tour stop in Pakistan.
The Free-Kick Contest is open to anyone and everyone who is interested in taking part irrespective of age and playing status. The competition rules are as follows according to its official facebook group page
* Entry fees is Rs 50, re-entry Rs 300, 2nd re-entry Rs 500, final re-entry Rs 1000. Each re-entry means player has to start from Round 1 again if he fails to go through to next round in previous attempt.
* A total of 3 rounds will be played with First Round beginning at 2 PM at Fame FC ground on Saturday 21 May 2011, Final Round to commence at 9 PM on Sunday 22 May 2011.
* Ball will be placed 25 yards from goal (with goalkeeper in goal), a 7 ft high practice wall will be placed at 10 yards from ball to block clear sight of goal.
* Each contestant will have 3 attempts to hit the target to score the necessary 3 points required to enter next round.
* Scoring a goal will get 3 points, hitting the goal post/crossbar will get 1 point. Missing the goal or getting a save from goalkeeper will get 0 points
* First Prize will be Rs 10,000 cash. Remaining place prizes will be determined by competition organisers
* All competition management & organising decisions will be Final and cannot be disputed by contestants.
For more info about competition registration contact Faisal Amir Khan 0333-4455856 and chief organising secretary (and FPDC staff) Zaka Ahmed Gondal 0322-4219591.